Skip to main content

Fostering FAQ: How Long Will She Stay/Will You Adopt Her?

Our first foster baby came with about 18 hours notice; it was respite care, which means we had him for a few days while his regular foster family had a break/dealt with a family emergency. He stayed 3 nights, long enough to come to church and have a dozen people cooing over his little sleeping cheeks.  With each new visitor to our quiet corner, I explained again that he would be going back to his foster family the next day.

Barely a week later, we got a 9am phone call with a fostering request and by the same afternoon, we were snuggling her. This time, we had her for 4 days before church came around. Again, our community was keen to see the little one we had in tow. Again, the question, "How long will she stay?" And this time, "Are you going to adopt her?"

Trying out the carrier...
--

Here in Toronto, when a child is placed in foster care, it is always for an indefinite length of time. It depends on the parents' situation, and whether they are able to make a safe home environment for the child. How long that might take varies completely from situation to situation. The length of stay depends on the court system; will the courts decide the child should not have been removed? Or maybe, eventually, the courts will decide the parents' rights will be terminated. In this case, the child becomes a crown ward, and is then considered available for adoption.

During this time, throughout a potentially lengthy process, the child remains in foster care. Ideally, the child is in the same foster home, with short-term respite care provided when needed (this is what we did with our first foster baby). Of course, there are sometimes situations that make it impossible for a child to stay in their initial foster home, and they would then be moved to a new foster family.

It's a complicated reality. There are many moving parts, many people involved. As foster parents, we have limited agency; we can say yes or no to a placement, and if we need to end a placement early, we can request that. But we have no ultimate power in determining whether the child will become available for adoption or not. And while there might be speculation as to the outcome when a child arrives, it isn't certain, and nothing is guaranteed until the courts make their decision.

If a child is becoming available for adoption, children's services may ask the foster parents if they are interested in adopting the child. And then we, the foster parents, have a significant and weighty decision to make. Before we had anyone placed with us, we'd started discussing the factors involved in such a decision for us. But quite frankly, that is either a whole separate post in and of itself, or more likely, not for public sharing/discussion. In my mind, asking someone if they're going to adopt a child in their care is somewhat akin to asking a couple if they are trying to have babies; it's a bit invasive, not entirely in their control, and potentially an emotionally loaded question for them.

--

So back to Dream Baby. How long will she be with us? We don't know. And any thoughts about the future, at this point, are speculation. The most we can say is that she'll likely be with us for several months, and we're looking forward to loving her and caring for her to the best of our abilities.

And if, at some point in our fostering years, we have the opportunity and decide to adopt one of the children who has been in our care - we will make the news public at an appropriate time; when it's more than speculation, and we're ready to make it known. So please...don't ask this question.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st