Skip to main content

Christina Rossetti - Poet & Theologian

I imagine the name Christina Rossetti doesn't ring a bell to most of you. But you might know of her work; most well-known of her poems is the Christmas carol "In the Bleak Midwinter" (I'm a huge fan of Sarah McLachlan's version). She also wrote a poem called "Goblin Market" and one entitled "Who Has Seen the Wind?" and many, many others.

She is one of the most well-known female poets out of England, up there with Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

And alongside her poetry, she wrote devotional and theological works. (What a delight to find a new kindred spirit!)

Tonight, I am reading her rather obscure Letters and Spirit: Notes on the Commandments (not even listed on Wikipedia!) as the focus of my final paper for last semester's class on Women Interpreters of the Bible. Yes, last semester... my prof suggested I take an extension, what with the wedding and all - and while I was reluctant, it did make a whole lot of sense and relieve a whole lot of stress (for the time being).

So now I'm tackling the reading and the paper, and let me tell you. I like this lady a WHOLE LOT.

Although she wrote in the late 1800s, many of her words and admonitions are quite applicable today. Take this, for example, on generosity and justice:
Even unselfish persons, if they permit themselves to be generous at the cost of justice, substitute the kind of luxury they relish for another kind which they care not for: generosity is their luxury; yet if incompatible with justice it must be forgone...
 And speaking of the personified ideal, she continues,
If ever the balance trembles doubtfully between gift and thrift, her glad preference weights the scale of gift an sends thrift flying upwards. 

I should like to be known as such a person.


Here's another, on truth and falsehood:
False witness, even in a strict sense, may moreover be borne by conduct or silence as emphatically as by words. All men at all moments cannot but be witnesses for or against the Right...and they are so to the inevitable and incalculable help or hindrance of their neighbour. 

 Ah, that doesn't give us much space to manoeuvre around the injunction against falsehood and lies, does it? Thankfully so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st