Skip to main content

Let's Talk About Sex. And Shame.

I have blogged about women and bodies and dating, and while it's been hinted at, it seems the time has come for us to straight-up talk about sex. And shame.

(a quick note here - the article that kickstarted this post comes out of a very particular church subculture that I was a part of for many years, and I know that many of my readers were/are not. But if my non-church friends will hold on for just a few paragraphs, I want to ask for your help with something...)

Last week I read an article called "Naked and Ashamed: Women and Evangelical Purity Culture." I thought briefly about sharing it/writing about it, but then I thought Too big! Too vulnerable! and moved on. Then a friend shared it with me on Facebook, and hints of a dialogue began with half a dozen people. But it seemed we were a bit reluctant to be personal in our responses.

I get that. Thoughts about sexuality and shame are not particularly easy to share in a public space.

So I want to make it a little easier. I don't want to simply share my opinion, but make this into a space to host many stories. Your stories. Because I think this type of dialogue matters. I think this dialogue is essential. Not just within conservative church circles (although definitely there), but inter-faith, extra-faith conversations.

There is much we can learn from one another, and much I think we need to learn from each other. The last few years have taught me that as terrifying as honesty is, whether the topic is sexuality or how rarely I clean the carpets, I have far more often heard "Me too!" than I have faced faces of shock or disapproval. And pushing through fear to healthy vulnerability is the scientifically proven way to live wholeheartedly*.
I don't know where this pic is from but I don't care. I love it.

So. I know we're really jumping into the deep-end with this topic, but here are the questions I'm suggesting as a starting place - you're not limited to these, nor do I expect you to answer all of them. They're just a starting point:
  1. If you read the article (link is above), what are your thoughts? Which part did you most strongly agree with? Disagree with? Why? 
  2. What was the dominant narrative around sexuality in your childhood/growing up years? How has that been a positive influence on who you are now? How has it been a negative one?
  3. What has helped you distinguish between healthy narratives around sexuality and destructive ones?
  4. What is a sexuality/shame-related question that you've wanted to ask but haven't had a chance? (eg, I've often wondered whether "modesty" is something that my non-church friends grew up hearing much about, but fear the blank look on their faces and the required explanation if I ask and it was not.)
And here are the parameters on how this conversation will run:
  1. The first rule is kindness. Gracious words spoken, empathetic ears hearing, grace all around. You don't have to agree, but you do need to be kind. I won't censor disagreement, but I will step in if I sense aggression or hostility. 
  2. You submit your thoughts to me via email/FB messages/pigeon carrier/paper and pen. Now I recognize that this is actually the riskiest piece of the puzzle. Because you're not fully anonymous. But I promise that I will honour your stories and your anonymity, and if that isn't quite enough reassurance, feel free to make a dummy email account to send your story from! 
  3. I will edit for anonymity/clarity/brevity before sharing your thoughts.
  4. We all discuss and learn and seek to understand. 
  5. If I get lots of submissions, I'll keep the series going however long I want to
  6. If I don't get any submissions, I won't share my own thoughts (motivation!). 
  7. If you don't know how to reach me privately (email or FB), leave a comment on this post with your email address or full Facebook name, and I'll be in touch. (If you're not comfortable leaving that in a public space, try leaving a comment & then deleting it - I get email notifications of all comments, and I think that includes ones that are later deleted.)
Ok. I think that does it for the details.

Sound like a plan? Think you'd like to contribute?



*Thanks for sharing, Kat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro