Skip to main content

3 Hippie Habits I've Recently Adopted

This will come as no surprise to many of you; I'm slowly turning into a hippie.

I don't often blog about these things, because who wants to hear about my personal hygiene and cleanliness strategies? Also, when I read other posts about amazing DIY projects, I roll my eyes and scoff - nothing I make looks that pretty!

BUT, when I find something fantastic, I like to tell my friends. And I believe in living simply, minimizing processed/strange/chemical goods in my life, and saving money. SO. Read on, if you like, or skip over, if you prefer.

-

Last year, there was my natural-hair-care experiment. While I didn't stick to an all-natural, home-made products after it was over, I have made significant shifts. For one, I only wash (shampoo) my hair every 5-7 days (every 3 showers). On other shower-days, I "co-wash" - mix a small amount of baking soda with my conditioner, work it into my scalp, and rinse well. I also use a leave-in conditioner, and hardly use gel (although I may start that up again in the winter). Also, I'm making a conscious effort to purchase plant-based, natural & simple products. I just purchased handmade castor oil based shampoo/soap and am going to try that out this week...will keep you posted (if you let me know you want to hear).

This summer I've made two more shifts. Both I was a bit skeptical of, but willing to try, and definitely impressed.

-

Back in the winter, I saw a post on Facebook about someone's homemade deodorant. I rolled my eyes at their hippie-dom, until I noticed that not one but two husbands admitted in the comments that they also use this homemade deodorant, and that it is the best deodorant they've ever had.

Well. If farm boys were publicly admitting to and advocating for this hippie recipe, I supposed I could give it a chance...and I was running low on deodorant. So I asked for the instructions:

Try starting with 1/4 cup of either cornstarch or arrowroot flour and add in 1/4 baking soda. Then add in coconut oil until it's deodorant consistency, probably 6-8 tbls.
So simple. So easy. I switched over on June 1, and I haven't once looked back. I've even recruited a convert or two... 

I play soccer and ultimate frisbee every week, and bike to work most days. I apply this deodorant as frequently as I did the expensive-mysterious-ingredients kind, which is usually twice a day. No one has complained/noticed any change in my smell (and I've asked honest friends). And if you don't want a simply neutral (very subtly coconut) scent, you can add essential oils.
This is the artsiest I can make my tiny Tupperware of deodorant look. Oooooh!
The best part? I made a half-batch, and it is still going strong. Costs pennies! Works like a charm! Is magic! Ok, not quite. There are two tiny things to be aware of, if you're intrigued by this idea. But they really are tiny.
  1. In the heat of summer (at the side of a sports field), this deodorant does melt & separate. I stir it with my finger to bring it all back together, and try to keep it out of the direct sun. Consider storing it in a jar or other container that seals well.
  2. If you choose not to re-use an old deodorant stick container, you probably will have to apply it with your fingers. (you only need a small amount, less than a dime) This may bother some people. Me, I like the smell of coconut oil on my hand.
-

Last month, I was running low on laundry detergent*, and started to research natural detergents/non-detergent laundry options. My brother made his own detergent in the winter (and he's the least hippie person I know!), but it seemed like too much work for me to find all those ingredients...

Then, at our neighbourhood street festival, I came across a vendor selling soap nuts. I'd heard of this somewhere along the line - a berry that acts a natural cleanser. The price was right, and the need was high. So I picked up a bag of berries, and have been popping a small cloth pouch of 4 berries into each load of laundry. Based on the cost of the bag ($10) and the # of loads per berry-batch (4 berries, 4 loads), and my rate of laundry (1 load/wk) I expect this bag will last me close to a year. AMAZING.

And my clothes are just as clean, just as soft - possibly softer - without any dryer sheets, chemicals, or complicated recipes.


Folks, I'm a content lady with these small shifts. I expect more will follow. And if that makes me a hippie, ok. I will wear that label and feel clean, healthy, and happy.


*ok, total lie. I'd run out of detergent and used Karen's for at least two loads...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st