Skip to main content

Meals on Feet

Two weekends ago, I was out for coffee (and sugar) with my roommate and our neighbour-friend. As we walked back to our building, I lamented my lack of groceries and how I tend to get meal-fatigue despite my love of cooking/baking/eating well.

I asked her if she ever experiences this, and how she combats it. "Pinterest." She confidently replied, "And I meal-plan. I have to, now that we have a kid." She lamented that it is tricky as a solo-person. You have to do all the work, all the time. You end up eating leftovers for DAYS. You get away with things like dry cereal and half an apple...

We talked a bit more, and she went up the last flight of stairs, and I sat down and still had to think of what to make for food that week (despite the half-dozen cookbooks I own, I frequently come up empty). And then she emailed. A link to Pinterest. Another link to Pinterest. A third Pinterest idea. AND.

Also: we could maybe plot meals to share?! Like a mini pot luck!

This simple email.
Life-changing.

A bunch more emails, a Google spreadsheet, and our weekly meal-exchange was officially underway. All it took is a little organization, a conversation about allergies & food preferences, and three willing cooks. It will be glorious.

Each week, I cook, she cooks & Karen cooks one meal to serve four (lucky neighbour-husband). At 6:30 on our respective evenings, we deliver 2 servings up/down the flight of stairs.

HOW STELLAR IS THIS.

Last night, I knocked on her door with a dish full of soup and hot biscuits, and she opened it wide and grinned, and so did her toddler, and she exclaimed, "Meals on feet! It was so nice to know I would have dinner coming and could spend more time with Fi this afternoon."

And I thought, Yes. This. Neighbours and friends and sharing to make our lives simpler.

Comments

  1. Sally6:18 PM

    Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea!! My roommates and I did something similar in undergrad and I miss it on a regular basis. Enjoy your meals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies! If only you lived in my neighbourhood, YOU TOO could be a part of this awesomeness! (or maybe you could start some meal-sharing-awesomeness near you?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this Beth! It pretty well ranks up there with the most awesome four months of cooking bliss at Fun City! I miss meal sharing with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this for so many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful. WINNING!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I WANT ALL YOU LADIES TO HAVE THIS!

    The anticipation I feel for tonight's chicken enchiladas that I AM NOT MAKING is very high.

    Lyns - those were the glory days!

    Vaness - you will just have to move into my neighbourhood this summer.

    Afro-chick - YOU are so beautiful. YOU are WINNING.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post. Now I need to think if this is something I can set up with someone. No ideas come quickly but maybe .... . It sure sounds like it will be a win, win, win situation for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fantastic idea. Of course it would look slightly different for me because I pretty much cook everything on sunday and eat it all week so I've virtually eliminated real cooking from my M-F. The endless leftovers can be a joy of one....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro