Skip to main content

Today (A List of Happenings)

I woke up before my alarm. Poor sleep has been haunting our house for TOO LONG.

I felt sick enough to be grumpy, but not sick enough to skip work.

I had a cultural misunderstanding. G needs a dress-up costume for school later this week.
G's mom: You could be a Hanson brother!
Me: Yeah!! No one would get it but the teachers, but it'd be great! I love their new single. Well, I guess it's not new anymore...but it's great!
G's mom: What?
Me: Yeah, they're still making music. Crazy, hey?
G's mom: No, I meant the hockey players.
Me: Oh. (who're they?)

I went to the zoo.
C: What's that hanging down there?
Me: (trying to remain calm) Um, I think that's the rhino's penis.
C: Oh. What's that animal? (pointing elsewhere)
Me: It's a tapir.
C: I want to be a baby tapir.



I sang along to M.I.A.'s Paper Planes with a 3 year-old. It seemed wrong and yet adorable.
(I skipped some lyrics)

I enforced health and safety rules.
(after school, picking up G)
Me: Where'd you get the gum?
G: Well, originally the floor, but I washed it off first.
Me: No. Get rid of it. You don't eat gum off the floor.
G: But I washed it off really well!
Me: No. Out.

I worked late. I work late tomorrow too.

I noticed an attractive man on the streetcar. For some reason, his shoes caught my eye. Matte red loafers. Very good choice.

I felt gall bladder pain. All the fatty goodness of raclette, and the jars of clotted cream that Nadine brought home this weekend have finally caught up to me. I dislike this reoccurring gall bladder issue, but it does keep me eating healthy most of the time...

I did laundry. I sang about doing laundry. I don't understand why I love laundry. Tomorrow I will do more laundry at work, and I will not mind.

I continued to receive feedback and follow-up from my 26 Secrets party that surprises and astounds me. I am still processing it. I think it will take months for me to see what this all means, in my life and for others (okay, that part I may never see).

I blogged.

Comments

  1. I love doing laundry too! I find it so satisfying and relaxing. And you can do other things at the same time (talk to someone, listen to someone, watch TV, sing...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. folding laundry is the warmest, coziest chore on earth, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it horribly frustrating. I can never fold things straight enough or fast enough and it just drives me crazy. Which is why I never fold it. I leave my clean laundry sitting in the basket for weeks on end because I am a champion avoider.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:51 AM

    You've never seen the film Slapshot?? Are you a hockey fan at all?? Do you not like Paul Newman?

    G's mum is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. alasdair, i am a hockey "fan" in the loose sense of the word. not like your style of sports fan-dom...

    and maybe someday I will see Slapshot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro