Skip to main content

Women I Want To Be (There Are None)

Chatting with Alasdair this afternoon, and we came 'round to talking about the future, and all the exciting possibilities that exist (a common topic in my life right now, as all that exists is "possibility"). Our conversation went thusly:Alasdair:have you heard of kevin kelly he's the kind of guy i want to be.4th person to be on the internet...http://www.kk.org/ me: i have not heard of him before, but i DO know of several of the organizations he's been involved with.
and it sounds like he might love Jesus?
Alasdair: he certianly does
he was interviewed on TAL about it
not listened to it yet though
me: sweet.
i need to find some women i want to be like.
i don't know any.
i have been thinking a lot about what i want to be in my life for this next chunk of time...but not about anyone whose example i'm really impressed by.
i just googled "women i want to be" - not an impressive hit among the results.
Alasdair: haha everyone has flaws
me: no, not even that - i mean, i can't think of anyone who is doing well at the things that i'm excited about.
Alasdair: and what are you excited about?
me: lots of things. but mainly - travel/culture. literature/the arts. women's development. holistic living. Jesus.
i think that is the short list.


This is the screenshot of my Google search:

Well, thank you Google for that massive fail.

I tried a few variations on this phrase, looking for something that suggests women who are role models, doing things, going places... no luck. And this is without even adding in any of the specific areas I'm interested in.

(insert rant on all that is wrong with the world, its perception of women, and the internet as a source for relationship/sex advice)

So now I'm looking for role-models. Lady-crushes, if you will. Please suggest any you like, or share with me your own lady-crushes: who and why. (on my list, Anne Lamott is the only possibility so far.)

Comments

  1. I was almost offended then I realized you want a list of famous women. As much as Anne Lamott has interesting things to say and is definitely thought provoking I don't think you should strive to be her for many reasons we can discuss at a later time. I will think of some and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Laura. indeed, i meant famous people. there are many ladies like you in my life that i love and respect and actually know. :)

    and yes, Anne Lamott isn't quite the person I want to be like. although her dreads are fantabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be like Beth Moore, minus the hair, the accent, the bad dressing and Texas. But I will take her passion, her focus, her love for God's word, her teaching abilities, her impact, and her love for Christ. Amazing Bible teacher. amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro