Skip to main content

Hope Doesn't Float: It Grows

I have been thinking a lot about hope this year.

My thoughts are decidedly Jesus-based, but I think that as humans, Christian or not, we're wired to look for hope. We need hope, and the fact that we don't do well without it says something to me. I'm not sure what, but I could get lost in all these thoughts. In fact, I have been...

Back in May, I was drawn to Romans 5:1-5, and ever since, I've been mulling it over. And over and over.

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

These have been my thoughts/questions:
  1. what does it mean that hope does not put us to shame (in the NIV, hope does not disappoint)? All of us have had our hopes disappointed at one time or another.
  2. how is God's love in our hearts the reason/explanation for hope's shamelessness?
  3. apparently, my hope should be increasing the more that I suffer (and see suffering)... How does this work? My natural inclination is to become more cynical, not more hopeful.

Mind-boggling questions that I don't have answers to.

But I'm clinging to the truth of hope. Hope that does not disappoint. I am deeply convinced that redemption is always a possibility - no, that redemption can be a certainty. I don't understand how, and I know that it rarely looks like what I think it will look like. But if hope is empty and redemption isn't a reality, then what are we doing?

For me, at the end of the day, I think my hope is in these two statements:
  1. Jesus is at work.
  2. Someday I will see how this made me look more like Him and how it benefited others.
(Translating those into the concrete reality of day-to-day life is something altogether more challenging than typing them on this page.)


I don't often say this, but I really would like to hear your thoughts from out there in cyberland. What's your take on hope? How does it function in your life? What's it based on, if Jesus isn't your thing?

Comments

  1. hey beth, it's funny b/c i've been mulling over hope these last several months too, especially romans 15:13 - May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing so that, by the power of the Holy Spirit, you may abound in hope. It hit me that joy and peace (only the kind given by God as you choose to believe) are almost like prerequisites for hope. And that hope is delivered by the power of the Holy Spirit. so simple. i don't have to eek it out.

    also, i've been thinking about you a lot... i got those photos developed from the fox and hound... not the best pictures ever ;) but what made it even worse is that Walmart double exposed my negatives so on several pictures there is another a family standing on their front porch... it would make a good prop for a scary movie about the ghosts of a family coming back to haunt us. also, if we're ever in the same place again, i would more than seriously consider starting a photog company with you. but the kind of company where we just do what we want and don't get crazy busy or stressed b/c we can do it when we feel like it.

    hope you're doing well and enjoying life!
    becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:02 PM

    Hi Beth,
    It's been a long time since I visited your blog and now as I explore it it makes me miss hanging out with you.
    Here are my thoughts on that passage and hope in general. Perhaps there is only one assured hope, the hope to see the glory of God displayed. That hope will never disappoint and the more we are refined the greater that hope becomes and the more assured we become of its certainty. Our hopes that things will work out this way or that way those are the ones that often disappoint.
    Amy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro