Skip to main content

Lady Problems

Warning: Decidedly girl-ish content. If my post about childbearing was bothersome, you should probably skip this one. If you're a boy, you're not allowed to judge me for the content of this post. (Called it)



I don't usually talk about Aunt Irma. My time of the month. High tide. You know. Not in general and definitely not on my blog.

But I just need to say this: I don't think I can handle it.

I don't know how we do it, ladies. If we go with a generous estimate and say that a girl starts getting her period at 12 and the average age of menopause is 51, that is 39 years.

THIRTY-NINE YEARS of pain, emotional chaos and mess on a monthly basis - excepting the times when we're pregnant, but childbirth pretty much makes up for nine months of missing out...


There have been countless occasions where I (or my roommates) wonder to ourselves, What is wrong with me? Am I going crazy?? Two days later, we say to each other, Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. You'd think I'd get it by now...but every time I am so confused by my own head.


Then this morning I got hit with the most massive wave of cramps that I have EVER experienced.

I took an Advil Liqui-gel as soon as I felt that pinchy little rumble start...ten minutes later, I closed my computer and thought of calling it quits for the day. I took another pill. I found that hot water bottle.

My insides were beating me up. Punching me all over on their way out. I curled up in a ball and waited for death.

Forty-five minutes later, I could breath deeply again. I almost fell asleep, and dang it, I deserved a nap for surviving.


On days like today, I find this incredibly comforting. And hilarious.


The point is: I am glad I don't live in the past. If I have to bleed on a regular basis, I will take Advil and hot water bottles, time off work, and hygiene products that aren't a pile of rags. I like that I am not declared "unclean" for seven days a month.



Yup, I said all that. And someday (maybe) we should talk about the Diva Cup on here. Maybe.
Boys, don't google that one. You don't want to know.

Comments

  1. I had pretty much the same type of conversation with one of my friends today! You speak the truth! I hope tomorrow is a better day :)

    P.S. Have you heard of the Softcup? Not as environmentally friendly as the Diva Cup, but definitely better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is it exactly - two days later... OHHHHH.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel ya, my experience has taken an interesting turn in the last six months and now i wake up in the middle of the night thinking 'why did john kick me in the gutt??"

    last time it was so bad it actually entered my dream and i started looking for somewhere to get medication but i was outside at yaletown livecity and finally woke up from the pain. so uncool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was about 12, I suddenly felt very burdened for Anne Shirley. Those Avonlea ladies had it rough. Never again did I wish to marry Gilbert Blythe and live in a time of rags. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:07 AM

    Unfortunately for me, I already know what a Diva cup is. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. One day on campus I thought I was having a nervous breakdown...then two days later I was SO relieved that I wasn't actually going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "fallen to the communists" BAAAHahahaa

    ReplyDelete
  8. steph: this episode is one of the best episodes of tv i've ever seen. you should watch the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you shared your lady troubles (although not glad that you had to have them ;) Go hot water bottles. I was always partial to Aunt Flo myself (the name, not the experience).

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh...that video was hysterical! Although, I must admit, it's been nice that Aunt Irma took a long vacation and I haven't seen her for almost a year...

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's nothing wrong with a diva cup! And my advice? Go on the pill. It will lessen your pain each month and at least you'll know when it's coming. Now V just knows green pills= give me lots of room for crankiness, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. shann - glad it made you laugh!

    amelia - i never said there's something wrong with the diva cup...in fact i am all for it. but i am against taking hormones unnecessarily :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A few weeks ago I was insanely angry all day, at nothing. After clenching my teeth for the first hour & scowling at everything & biting Heather's head off a few times... it occurred to me what was going on. I LOATHE *everything* cause I'm PMSing. And then the cramps came and I took enough drugs to tranquilize a horse.

    Also, I saw a diva cup the other day and nearly had a heart attack. I wouldn't dare try. It looks horrifying.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro